Make-up rookie? These beauty stores will hook you up with free lessons
By Brittany Anas
Maybe you spent the first quarter-century of your life in a tomboy phase and thought chapstick was all the “makeup” you needed. Or perhaps you’re a makeup guru, but you’ve wasted a bottle of eyeliner hopelessly trying to master the cat eye? Or you have a sneaking suspicion you aren’t applying your fake lashes correctly because it constantly feels like a caterpillar is crawling on your eyelid when you wear them.
Our favorite beauty depots are here to lend a helping hand with free (that’s right!) lessons to help you master your beauty routine. (Plus, with these great tutorials and mini beauty lessons, you won’t leave the make-up department with only half your face done up).
Here’s where to find beauty videos and tutorials:
- Watch beauty videos and sign up for-in store classes at Sephora, where you’ll earn 5 percent Cash Back on your purchases with ShopAtHome.com. Just punch in your zip code and find out what beauty tutorials classes are happening near you. Sephora beauty techs offer quick-hit courses on everything from countrouring and highlighting your face’s best features to conquering the sultry smoky eye to mastering your eyebrows. Another online feature: Become part of the beauty conversation at BeautyTalk. Beauty insiders will answer all of your questions. Show them a picture of a red carpet look, and they’ll point you to the products that will help you accomplish the look. Having a hard time finding a face wash for your dry skin? They’ll lead you to a face wash just right for you. Consider them your beauty BFF’s. Check out SephoraTV for online tutorials.
- Ulta runs live chats with beauty stars like celebrity stylists and make-up line founders. Read the transcripts of former live chats with Tarte founder Maureen Kelly; Carol’s Daughter founder Lisa Price and Lorac founder and celebrity make-up artist Carol Shaw. You’ll also find tutorials here on how to get “artist-inspired” hair or surfer-girl locks. (Earn up to 5 percent Cash Back on your Ulta purchases with ShopAtHome.com).
- Check out Michelle Phan’s beauty channel on YouTube for easy-to-follow tutorials. Her motto: Life is too short to have just one look. Phan also has a book coming out called “Make up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style and Success Online and Off.” You can pre-order the book at Target and earn 2.5 percent Cash Back on your purchase.
Other articles you might also like:
- Crave a cat-eye? Try this lash-hugging liner in a pen
- Shopping trend: Style influencers providing ‘picks’ for stores
- You don’t have to go back to school to get in on these trends and sales