Melissa McCarthy ‘stumbles’ through SNL monologue, teaches us shoe lesson
Funny woman Melissa McCarthy (you know her as Molly on Mike & Molly or Megan from Bridesmaids) wore sky-high red, glittery stilettos for her opening Saturday Night Live monologue, and literally stumbled through her performance. The comedian looked like she was walking on stilts as she joked “I should have tried these shoes on!”
We’ve all been there, girl. We’ve all been there.
We suspect her traipsing about the stage in 5-inch heels was a planned slapstick comedy act: She stumbled down the stairs. She enlisted support from a nearby chair. And, eventually, fell flat on her face. Yes, walking in heels can be comedy. (You know this if you’ve ever seen a nightclub let out or tried to wear heels to your first formal dance).
Here’s our favorite line from McCarthy: “They told me ‘Make sure you practice walking in your shoes. I said ‘What? I live in heels! But I don’t do that. That was not honest. I’m primarily in a Croc. I just really wanted to get all gussied up for you guys.”
In honor of McCarthy’s shoe troubles, we’ve got tips for choosing the right pair of heels and advice on how to walk gracefully in them.
- Wear training heels: For the majority of us, it’s not practical to wear high, high heels. When you’re shoe shopping, gravitate toward “kitten heels.” They have little 1- or 2-inch pumps. This ‘piper pump’ from DSW has a slingback heel and comes in ruby red, yellow, patent black and gray. It’s accented with a knotted bow in the back. These shoes are definitely made for walking.
- Practice: Yup, the crew at SNL was right when it told McCarthy to practice her walk. When you order shoes online, practice walking in them around the house. (When you walk outdoors, you lessen your chances of being able to return them). If they feel like they may be ankle-breaking hazards, they are just not meant to be. No matter how sexy they make you look, that will all be negated when you take a tumble.
- Pack a pair of walking shoes: Carry a pair of cute flats in a neutral color to get you to and from the office. Once you’re seated at your desk, slide on your heels. Try these Airwalk slip-on shoes in navy or these neutral scrunch flats, both from Payless Shoes.
- Buy shoe inserts: The secret to walking in heels is having a comfortable, gel insole. They take pressure off the ball of your foot and prevent foot aches and pains caused by wearing heels. Get 5 percent cash back at Dr. Scholls from ShopAtHome.com.
Other articles you might also like:
• 5 ways to dress like it’s spring, even when it’s cold outside
• RIP Margaret Thatcher, Lilly Pulitzer, Annette Funicello
• Miss Plus Size International dishes fashion advice
• Music festival style: Our favorite boho-chic pieces for the summer
• How to fake a tan and other spring beauty tips
• Neon ’80s roaring back into style this spring, summer