Mom knows best: The best fashion and style advice passed down from mothers
Maybe she picked out an epic first-day-of-kindergarten outfit for you. Or, sewed your entire softball team matching Scrunchies. Or, gently nudged you not to wear your fave Hypercolor T-shirt to your senior pictures, cautioning you might regret it one day.
When it comes to beauty and style, Mom knows best.
As a tribute to Mother’s Day (it’s right around the corner on May 12), we’ve rounded up some of the best fashion and makeup advice passed down by moms. Joining the conversation are some of our favorite bloggers, too.
- “The best style and beauty advice my mom has ever given me was to always be myself and to do my own thing when it comes to fashion. She always inspired me to be my own trendsetter … and also to never leave the house without lip gloss!” — Meaghann, 19, from Pittsburgh and author of the Sealed with Style blog
- “To be careful with perfume. If someone can smell you outside of an intimate zone, you’re likely wearing too much.” — Annie, 36, from Longmont, Colo., and author of Perpetual Ramblings blog
- “My mom dressed me in bicycle tights, tiny wind shorts and a white shirt with that rockin’ ’80s neon spray on it, then sent me to school. Strongest lesson in what NOT to wear that sticks out in my mind.” — Steven, 28, from Denver
- “Do not wear sweatpants in public; you never know who you will meet.” — Samantha, 30, from Springfield, Mo.
- “My mom always told me to dress in what makes you look good and flatters you.” — Abbie, 31, from Denver
- “Spend money on the basics. White, black and neutrals will never be out of style.” — Krystal, 30, from Arvada, Colo.
- “My mom is the best at finding great pieces at even better prices. She taught me that you don’t need a million dollars to look like a million dollars. All you need is some patience and a good eye for quality. Nothing beats the feeling of scoring a great deal on a great item!” — Inna, 26, from Brooklyn, N.Y., and author of Footprints in the City blog
- “Always wear a slip under a dress or skirt! Always.” — Linh, 32, from Arvada, Colo.
- “The best style or beauty advice my Mom (or, Mum, as I’m English!) ever gave me was to never over-pluck my eyebrows, however tempting it was to pluck more. I now have nice thick eyebrows and I’m so thankful to her!” — Amy, 20, from Surrey, England and author of The Little Koala blog
- “My mom spent her adolescent years with my great-grandmother, simply known as Granny. Granny provided Mama with infinite wisdom in the realms of fashion and beauty, which she passed along to me. I think my favorite is, Granny always said, ‘Don’t go to bed wearing makeup or you’ll age 10 years.’ I am grateful every time I tumble out of bed after a night when I was too lazy of too tired to remove mine to discover that my face has not turned on me … yet. That said, I think of it every time and the guilt haunts me in bed so much that I usually command myself to get up and take it off, lest Granny’s prophecy come true!” — Leah, 29, from Denver, and author of Bacon and other Bad Habits
- “Just because it’s in style does not mean it looks good! Dress for your body type and you will always be in style.” — Kelly, 27, Austin, Texas
- “Whatever you’re wearing, walk in like you own the place!” — Sarah, 22, Boulder, Colo.
Top photo courtesy of Sealed with Style.
Middle photo courtesy of Footprints in the City.
Bottom photo courtesy of The Little Koala.
• 5 universal ways to look skinnier in your jeans
• Rawr! Jurassic Park-inspired jewelry and accessories
• Kate Middleton’s fave designer Issa London to debut Banana Republic line