Move over Little Black Dress, ASOS says 2014 is all about pretty prints
By Brittany Anas
The Little Black Dress has long been fashion’s trusty, reliable friend. She’s a closet staple. A go-to option for a big night out.
But, now, online retailers like ASOS are noticing a trend: Little Back Dress sales are being eclipsed by colored frocks and dresses with pretty patterns. The likely reason behind the sales (and fashion) trend? Colorful, bright dresses and those with interesting patterns make for the prettiest and most dynamic photos on Instagram and Facebook according to this Guardian article about the trend. Afterall, 2013 was the year of the selfie — with the noun getting its own entry in the dictionary.
About 60 percent of dress sales come from designs that are not LBDs, according to the article. Surely helping to propel the trend are runways that have been previewing gorgeous abstract prints on blouses and dresses.
Looking to add some pops of color and interesting patterns to your dress collection? ASOS curates a beautiful collection of frocks at an affordable price. And, when you shop the e-tailer with ShopAtHome.com, you’ll earn an extra 7 percent Cash Back plus have access to exclusive coupons.
Here’s five dresses from ASOS that are outside of the LBD box that we’re loving for early spring.
- River Island Reptile Shift Dress, $63.52. We love the River Island line because it’s defined by fun prints, feminine detailing and affordable prices. While the temps are still cool, warm up this dress with some black tights and a cropped leather jacket.
- ASOS Skater Dress in Velvet Leaf Print, $63.52. We are crushing on velvet this season. The metallic warm leaves add elegance to this dress with an otherwise relaxed skater fit.
- ASOS Midi Dress in Lace Print with a tab side, $81.67. Rejoice if you’ve been craving longer hemlines on dresses. “Midi” lengths — the lovable middle sister of the mini and maxi skirt — is having her moment this year. Keep the cut youthful with a slim-heeled bootie.
- ASOS Midi Dress in Animal Print with a belt, $76.23. A colorful blend of blues and pinks come together for this pretty abstract dress, again with a modest midi hemline. (Pictured).
- ASOS Shift Dress in 1960’s Paisley Print, $81.67. The “mirrored” print trend that has become popularized by designers like Clover Canyon adds a fun dynamic to dresses. Keep the look from getting too busy by wearing it with stud earrings and a simple pair of heels. (Pictured).
Read more articles about Asos here.
Other articles you might also like:
- 4 beauty and style resolutions to make 2014 your most fashionable year
- Closet rescue: 4 easy tips for your most organized closet ever
- Cold weather style: How to look fashionable, even in a blizzard