Mud Run 101: What do you wear?
When it comes to running, oh boy, how we love a good theme. Earning badges of honor every kilometer in the form of color puffs in the ever so popular Color Run? Awesome. Being chased by a zombie is just what we need to pick up our pace in a Zombie Run. The “Drenched” run makes perfect sense for a 5K during scorching summer months.
But, there’s one themed race that’s just downright dirty and that seems to be the fitness trend of 2013. Mud Runs. They remind us of adult “Field Days.” The beloved Rugged Maniac 5K Obstacle Race takes place in 20 different cities throughout the year. You can ride mechanical bulls, play muddy tug-o-war, and even jump in “adult bounce houses.” Sign us up.
Those mud runs, though, pose an interesting question: What do you wear? Clothes that are comfortable enough to run in, yes.But we also want to look cute because, these runs, are big ol’ parties at heart. Then here’s the wild card: Clothes that can be disposable — without much guilt — because if you’re doing a mud run right, you’re definitely not going to want to bring the gear back into the house.
We turned to Forever 21’s active line for some apparel that’s at just the right price point and looks good. For shoes, wear the oldest pair you got. And pack a towel so you could clean off when you’re done. When you buy through ShopAtHome.com, you can get an extra 2 percent Cash Back at Forever 21 — and put that money in your race fund.
Here’s 5 mud run essentials, all from Forever 21:
- Foldover yoga shorts, $6.80: Who loves short shorts? Show off those runnin’ legs. Although, you won’t be showing much skin for long because you’ll quickly be covered in mud.
- Camo sports bra, $13.80: The camo seems to fit the tough-girl theme of a mud run. Buy a few because you’ll want some to wear to the gym, too. Mix and match with an ombre sports bra.
- Athletic racerback tank, $12.80: This comes in white, black, sea green, and gray — but we like the white because it’s not that often that you set out to get as dirty as possible.
- Striped ankle socks, $1.50: Treat your feet good with some soft ankle socks.
- Cool comic graphic backpack for $24.80: OK, you can keep this one clean and use it to tote your running gear to the event. We’re spotting lots of fun pop art on the runways this fall, so this is an easy and affordable way to get on board with the trend.
Find more articles about Forever 21 here.
Other articles you might also like: