Music festival style: Our favorite boho-chic pieces for summer
Whether you’re headed to Coachella or a street fair to hear a local band, here’s your chance to rock (pun intended) the laid-back style that defines music festivals.
Celebs — and rock fest regulars — such as Mary Kate Olsen and Vanessa Hudgens are known for their bohemian-chic, ethereal looks. When they’re wearing floor-length maxi skirts, floppy hats or mismatched bracelets along their arms it’s like they’re teasing us and saying “Oh, this outfit? … I just threw it together.” In reality, they’ve got some stylist star-power behind them masterfully creating that “effortless” (wink-wink) look.
There are a few key pieces that are essential for the festival scene — which is where fashion meets practicality. (You need to look good while dancing, right?). The best part is you don’t have to worry about matching. Some of the most fabulous outfits come together spontaneously. And, of course, we turned to Urban Outfitters and Free People to scope out some of the boho-chic pieces they’re so well known for carrying.
- A maxi dress or skirt. Don’t be shy. Opt for one in a fun, colorful print. (Smaller patterns equal more flattering). Here’s a floral print dress from Urban Outfitters for $49. Or, go for a solid color with an interesting cut, like this midnight blue maxi dress with a ruffled bodice from Free People. (Tip, if you have a fuller bust, you’ll definitely want a good strapless bra. Click here for coupons and cash-back offers at Victoria’s Secret).
- Boots: While you may be tempted to strap on a pair of gladiator sandals, cover up your toes in close-toed boots. Your feet will thank you for not exposing them to broken glass and other miscellaneous litter. These patriotic boots from Onlineshoes.com are summer-tastic and just shout “I love rock ‘n’ roll.”
- Long chain necklace: Mix short necklaces with long pendants and don’t be afraid to combine colors. Or, just buy one multi-layered necklace — like this layered cross pendant from Charlotte Russe — for $6.
- Floppy hat: Great for protecting your face from sun rays and helping you look famous, hats are an essential wardrobe staple if you are camping and don’t have time to wash your hair. HSN has a Vince Camuto two-toned floppy hat with navy blue accents for $32 (and free shipping!).
- Floral headband: Give your bun or ponytail some flower power with a floral crown with faux suede ties, again courtesy of Free People.
Other articles you might also like:
• Prom 2013 style guide + dresses starting at $58
• How to fake a tan and other spring beauty tips
• Sunday style: Where to score the best Easter dresses
• Neon ’80s roaring back into style this spring, summer
• Fall fashion preview: The good, the bad, the ugly (and the bizarre)
• Dress your kids in these adorable Easter outfits — all under $50