Naughty or Nice? – Holiday Shoppers Are Making Lists & Checking Them Twice
Re-gifting viewed as tacky by Tennesseans and thrifty by Washingtonians
Miranda Coykendall or Sara Long
Denver, CO. – November 19, 2012 – ShopAtHome.com, the largest coupon search engine that connects upwards of 12 million consumers each month to the best deals and cash back savings, today released the results of Naughty or Nice?, a survey of 828 consumers to better understand their holiday shopping and gift-giving habits. The survey revealed that despite the holiday rush, consumers are choosing to keep their holiday spending in check and avoid a financial hangover this year. In particular, consumers are choosing to be thrifty this year—whether it’s re-gifting, applying Cash Back to everyday expenses or skipping gift-giving for themselves or others.
“The hustle and bustle of the holiday shopping season is now upon us,” said Marc Braunstein, co-founder and CEO of ShopAtHome.com. “With Black Friday and Cyber Monday less than two weeks away, consumers are preparing their shopping lists and setting holiday shopping budgets. This holiday season, we’re making it easy for savvy shoppers to score the best holiday deals available—whether it’s free shipping, door busters or exclusive Cash Back rewards as high as 40 percent at major retailers.”
Key findings in the survey were:
- Re-gift for thrift. 63 percent of consumers consider re-gifting to be thrifty whereas 37 percent consider re-gifting to be tacky. From a per capita perspective, Tennessee tops the list for refusing to re-gift, with almost 71 percent viewing it as tacky. In contrast, Washington and Utah top the list at 93 percent and 91 percent, respectively, for re-gifting because it’s viewed as thrifty.
- Cash back, give back. The majority of consumers—84 percent—would apply Cash Back to everyday expenses (40 percent), a gift for someone else (33 percent) or charity (11 percent) in lieu of a gift to themselves (8 percent).
- Bah humbug. 67 percent of consumers would skip giving a gift to a co-worker if money is tight during the holidays. Additionally, 18 percent of consumers would rather forgo giving a gift to their significant other than to their mother or father.
- Control the urge to splurge. 66 percent of consumers choose to splurge on others rather than themselves during the holidays. 30 percent admit to treating themselves to one item – but only if it’s on sale.
- Classy cheapskate. 47 percent of consumers would include a gift receipt even if the gift was bought on sale well below the price tag. Respondents cited being able to show off their thrift (15 percent) and giving someone the option to return it (42 percent) as reasons for including the gift receipt.
- Tis the season to be a kid. 72 percent of consumers plan to allocate most of their holiday shopping budget to children.
With over 18,000 retailers and a 110 percent Cash Back guarantee, ShopAtHome.com delivers the most effective shopping experience by combining all savings tools in one online destination – saving consumers time and money. ShopAtHome.com differentiates itself from other coupon sites with its cash back incentives. Unlike coupons, which are provided by the retailers, all of the cash back offers on ShopAtHome.com come directly from the site itself and show up right alongside the coupons.
Naughty or Nice? was conducted through online distribution to ShopAtHome.com’s 4.2 million Facebook fans, recording results from 828 respondents. The survey was conducted from November 1st – November 3rd, 2012.
For more information on ShopAtHome.com, please visit www.ShopAtHome.com.
Founded in 1986 by husband-and-wife team Marc and Claudia Braunstein, ShopAtHome.com is the web’s largest provider of online coupons, Cash Back rewards and printable grocery and restaurant coupons. The only destination integrating the best discounts from coupons, deals and Cash Back, the site has evolved from its early roots as the ‘Catalog of Catalogs’. Throughout this transformation, the company has kept the same goal – helping improve the shopping experience for millions of shoppers. As a true coupon powerhouse, ShopAtHome.com aims to provide the most savings to consumers whether they’re shopping at the grocery store or at their favorite online retailer. For more information visit www.ShopAtHome.com.