Neon ’80s roaring back into style this spring & summer
By Brittany Anas
Que the Wham! cassette tape and re-runs of Saved By the Bell. The ’80s — and their bright, fluorescent hues — are charging back into style to fill the racks. (If you grew up during the Me Decade, you know style was anything but subtle).
Acid wash jeans, denim vests and everything neon are making a comeback that’s as strong as your Rave hairspray. Whether you want just a subtle pop of neon with an enamel ring or you’re eager to go all in, we’ve got some some totally rad picks for you.
- Sequence paralela bracelet: It’s reminiscent of a handmade friendship bracelet. But more durable. The colorful cording is accented with silver studs. (BaubleBar, $48)
- Denim vest: Layer it over a sleeveless floral dress for a rough juxtaposition to the feminine print. For a look that is more 2013, avoid denim that is acid wash and opt instead for a darker, more consistent denim. (American Eagle Outfitters, $49.95)
- Hair pins: Give your prim bun an unexpected twist of funk by fastening your hair with some of these fun pieces. These hair pins are a safe choice for anybody that is a little hesitant of re-living the 90s. (Topshop, $25)
- Puffy Paints: If you’ve got kids, you can tell them: “Back in my day we designed our own T-shirts and hats with Puffy Paints. You had to be very careful to not get air bubbles.” Yup. Puffy paint is back. You’re welcome. (Nordstrom, $7).
- Citrus ring: Leave it to J.Crew to add a touch of class when re-creating the 80’s. An enamel ring with Czech crystals and brass enamel can be worn alone or stacked with other miniature rings. (J. Crew, $38).
- Strappy heels: Shoe queen Jessica Simpson designed a pair of strappy tan heels that are infused with a twist of lemon, lime and grapefruit. (ModCloth, $88.99)
- Pink acid wash jeans: Err, “mineral wash” as the kids these days are calling them. These ankle-length cut-offs also come in lavender and light blue. (Forever 21, $22.80)
- Canvas purse with neon strap: An eco-chic canvas tote with a swipe of neon green on the handle. (Gap, on sale for $39.99).
Want to save on the clothes you find online? Click here for free shipping coupons from ShopAtHome.com.
Other articles you might also like:
• Fall fashion preview: The good, the bad, the ugly (and the bizarre)
• Shop Gwyneth Paltrow’s closet! (But you better be rich — and skinny)
• Survey reveals which stores Americans love best + exclusive deals
• Sneak peek: Celeb stylist Kate Young designing ‘red carpet’ line for Target
• No spring break plans? At least your clothes can offer a change of scenery
• Hangover 3 coming to theaters + a packing list for a wild Vegas trip