Pantone reveals ‘Radiant Orchid’ as the Color of 2014
By Brittany Anas
Move over emerald. It’s time to let “Radiant Orchid” shine in the “Color of the Year” spotlight.
Pantone — a leading global authority on color — announced Thursday that radiant orchid is going to dominate our color wheels in the upcoming year. Last year’s “Color of the Year” was emerald — and tangerine tango, honey suckle, turquoise, mimosa and blue iris held the honors in years past.
When Pantone reveals its color of the year in December, we can expect to see lots of the color in the coming year, showing up in clothes, beauty products and interior design elements. Pantone describes the up-and-coming Radiant Orchid color as “an enchanting harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones … a captivating purple, one that draws you in with its beguiling charm.”
Don’t expect women to be the only ones flaunting the pretty purple color. The rosy undertones in “Radiant Orchid” radiate on the skin — producing a healthy glow when worn by both men and women, according to the color institute.
The runways saw lots of orchid during spring 2014 fashion shows — appearing in lines by Juicy Couture and Yoana Baraschi. Pantone predicts that we’ll see lots of the hue in spring collections of both men’s and women’s clothing and accessories throughout the year.
To honor orchid being the 2014 “Color of the Year,” we’re getting a little ahead of ourselves and have already found some ways to incorporate the color into our closets, home and beauty routines. All items are from Nordstrom, where you’ll earn 6 percent Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com.
- Orchid faux lashes, $20. New Year, new color. Flirt with orchid with these fun lashes that are apropos for a New Year’s Eve party.
- Ikat orchid pillow, $65. Add a pop of purple to the living room by tossing this pillow on a neutral couch or chair.
- ‘Waved orchid’ scarf, $42. Orchid plays with shades of pink as well as black and white for a colorful pattern on this Italian scarf.
- ‘Maisy’ blouse, $245. A Diane von Furstenberg orchid-hued silk blouse is made all the more elegant with a a solid black placket and back yoke.
- Classic fit button-up for men, $149. Gentlemen, we didn’t forget you. This Bugatchi Classic Fit shirt makes purple look masculine.
Read more articles about Nordstrom here.
Other articles you might also like: