A professional stylist’s tips on packing for vacation and business
By Aimee Heckel
Marian Rothschild loves to travel with her sisters. Although they live in different states, they get along great and share many of the same interests: cooking, walking on the beach. But one thing they don’t share is how they pack a suitcase.
Rothschild’s packing is efficient, strategic and minimalistic.
“To me it seems unnecessary to lug around a huge suitcase full of all sorts of paraphernalia for a weekend visit with family. Especially since we now have online weather forecasts literally at our fingertips,” Rothschild writes in her book.
On the other hand, one of her sisters is an over-packer. On one three-night California vacation, Rothschild says her sister packed a massive suitcase bursting with two weeks of travel necessities. Including five pairs of shoes. Yes, for three nights.
Here are Rothschild’s tips for packing efficiently for travel, courtesy of her style book:
1. Know the weather. Google the weather the day before you leave to know what kinds of gear to pack.
2. Wear your bulkiest items on the plane, except your heavy coat. Pack that, if possible. But if you wear your bulkiest shoes, pants and sweaters while traveling, that will free up more space in your bag.
3. Remember this rule: heavy on bottom. Pack your shoes and heavy stuff on the bottom layer of your suitcase.
4. Use your space. Make sure you unzip the expandable options of luggage.
5. Keep your clothes wrinkle-free by wrapping them in tissue paper or plastic bags from the dry-cleaners. Or pack only your most wrinkle-resistant clothes.
6. Roll, don’t fold, sweaters, knit tops, T-shirts and cotton clothes.
7. Plan your outfits. Color-coordinate your clothes so you can mix and match and reuse everything when you get there. But avoid all black, unless you’re traveling for a memorial service.
8. Consider leaving some toiletries at home, such as shampoo, conditioner and lotion, if they will be available where you are staying.
9. Pack the right number of underwear and tops. However many days you will be gone is the magic number.
10. Don’t forget hand-washing. You can hand-wash smaller items int he sink and hang to dry, if you need to.
11. Don’t over-pack. Take only what you will need, plus a lightweight hostess gift.
Looking for the best travel deals right now?
Here are some of the latest travel deals to help you save money on your next trip:
- Groupon Getaways: Find Your Dream Vacation to Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania. Find flash deals on Groupon-exclusive discounts through May 30.
- Groupon Getaways: Shop Mexico, the Caribbean & Latin America Getaways. Here, you can find more flash deals, exclusive only to Groupon through April 30.
- Save more money at Groupon Getaways with these coupons.
- Get an additional 3 percent Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com, with your Groupon Getaways purchase.
- Read more articles about saving money on Groupon Getaways here.
- Save money on other travel expenses with this long list of travel coupons.
Other articles you might also enjoy: