Puppy love: Quevenzhané Wallis’ purse makes playful style statement
By Brittany Anas
Little girls playing dress up is majorly adorable, from the way they schlep and click-clack in over-sized high heels to the not-so-subtle circles of blush they paint on their cheeks.
If you have a pint-sized diva who has been angling for her own purse, take a cue from 9-year-old actress Quevenzhané Wallis, the little girl will be starring in the remake of “Annie.” At Sunday night’s Oscar’s award show, she brought a playful “puppy purse” to the red carpet that was just right for her age. (Though, do you ever wonder what little treasures girls are carrying in their purses? Our best guess: Stray Gusher candies, bubble gum-flavored chapstick and some allowance money).
Quevenzhané’s bedazzled puppy-shaped purse is from Poochie & Co., though the retailer is temporarily sold out of puppy purses due to the surge in interest following the Oscars. Quevenzhané– star from “Beasts of the Southern Wild” — is often seen toting a puppy purse to match her outfit. (Designer collaboration in the works, perhaps?)
There’s a short waiting list for the canine-inspired purses, but the good news is that the price is right. You can find the plush purses that are adorned with sequined outfits for under $10 a piece.
Here are some paw-some pieces for all ages inspired by Quevenzhané’s Oscar style:
• Cocker Spaniel poochie purse from Sears: The plush purse is just like the ones that Quevenzhané carries. The back of the dog zips open so you can stow necessities inside. The puppy purse even includes a dog collar and heart-shaped name tag. The purse will be back in stock by March 8.
• Puppy pillow pet from Walgreens: Ideal for sleepovers, long car rides or just cuddling. The stuffed animal can double as a pillow and is made of high-quality chenille. This stuffed animal is ideal for children 3 or older.
Other articles you might also like:
• Juicy dress gossip from the Oscars + white dresses starting at $27.80
• Oscar fashion lessons: Backwards necklaces and misplaced brooches?
• Like Michelle Obama’s bangs? Try out the look with clip-in bangs
• Spring’s freshest perfumes + interesting fragrance tips
• Nautical and nice: 7 ways to get in on the spring trend for cheap
• Botany 101: How to wear floral prints