Quick ways to give your home a spring update
By Brittany Anas
Spring is a great time to lighten the feel of your home and introduce some new, softer colors into your decor. Of course, it’d be impossible to re-decorate with the changing of every season — but there are small home decorating touches you can give your home to bring it into spring.
Here are some small touches that will make a big impact:
- Switch out a lampshade. Pick one in a blue, yellow or other spring-time color and find a patterned shade to draw more attention to a favorite lamp. We love this blue damask printed shade for a metal frame or a vine shade that would go well with a wooden base. Both are from Target.
- Do your own painting. Spend a Saturday afternoon with your family creating spring-time artwork. Not artistic? No worries! Anybody can paint bright, whimsical flowers. Find oil paints, water paints and kids paints and any other art supplies you could ever need at Utrecht Art.
- Snap a photo and turn it into art. Shoot photos of your family, tulips coming into bloom or a spring sunset. Then turn it into a personalized piece of artwork with the help of Polaroid Fotobar. Upload your photos — even from Instagram or your phone! You can choose a variety of custom prints, ranging from posters to a bamboo backing to metal art that pulls out vibrant colors in your photos. A large, professionally printed photo can take center stage in any room — but we especially love them in bedrooms and nurseries. Check out an idea gallery.
- Fresh flowers. Treat yourself to a fresh bouquet of quintessential spring flowers — like peonies, tulips, lilacs or daffodils. The fresh flowers add cheer to a kitchen table or nightstand. Buy yourself some flowers from ProFlowers.
- Set your table with new napkins or place mats. Your kitchen table can be switched out every season for a low price. Cost Plus World Market has a charming selection, like the Antigua Embroidered Placemats with peppy, bright colors juxtaposed against canvas and white stripes.
- Fresh candles. Once your house “feels” like spring, give it a fresh scent. We like First Bloom from Bath and Body Works. It’s inspired by the first blooms of springs and has a subtle wood scent.
Other articles you might also like:
• Lesley loves: NYC New York Color 16-hour lip stain
• Melissa McCarthy stumbles through SNL monologue, teaches us shoe lesson
• 5 ways to dress like it’s spring, even when it’s cold outside
• RIP Margaret Thatcher, Lilly Pulitzer, Annette Funicello
• Miss Plus Size International dishes fashion advice
• Music festival style: Our favorite boho-chic pieces for the summer