Rake in the savings with outdoor landscaping gear for fall
By Aimee Heckel
Kids. Love. Leaves.
Almost as much as they love bubbles and snowballs and muddy puddles, and other kinds of messy and delightful gifts from Mother Earth.
As the weather grows cooler, don’t forget that your children’s need for fresh air, unorganized play, exploration and contact with the real World are just as important as in the summer.
So bundle up and get outside. Team up for some fall yard work. Here are some ways to have fun with your family and save money on outdoor landscaping gear for fall.
1. Jump in the leaves together. See how big of a pile you can make, with the help of your kid, and get in a few jumps, before stuffing the leaves into bags to compost.
Make it fun by getting a kid-sized rake and fun wheelbarrow, like this WonderWorld Little Wheelbarrow at Sears, $71.24. Save money by pairing Sears coupons with ShopAtHome.com Cash Back. And learn more about saving money at Sears here.
2. Save some leaves for art projects. Paint leaves, glue them on paper, color on them with Crayons, make leaf wreaths or leaf garlands. Momtastic offers 10 fall leaf crafts to do with your kids. Make Thanksgiving cards for relatives using leaves, or at least inspired by colorful fall.
Don’t forget sticks. We love this list of stick and twig projects from GreenUpGrader. Why buy your fall home decor when you and your kids can make it together?
3. Save some pumpkin seeds from your Halloween decor and plant them in a garden. Grow your own pumpkins for next fall, and use this as a way to teach your children responsibility and about gardening.
4. Let your kid “drive” the lawn mower. Depending on age, this may just be sitting on your lap. Get your kid involved by designating them your navigator; they tell you which way to turn. Think of it like Pac-Man, with the lawn mower is the Pac-Man and the grass is the dots and ghosts.
Find a great selection on riding lawn mowers at Sears, too.
5. Stock up on lawn care toys: buckets, plastic rakes and shovels, toy push lawn mowers. Using these babies and kids coupons to save money on this gear.
Other article you might also enjoy: