Recipe Of The Week: Buffalo Mac and Cheese
Prep Time: 8 mins Cook Time: 12 mins Total Time: 22 mins Servings: 8Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is a stovetop mac and cheese that is super creamy and spicy. Shredded cooked chicken gets mixed in making this a one dish meal. Sprinkle blue cheese crumbles, green onions, and more hot sauce on top for extra flavor.
- 8 ounces uncooked macaroni pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dry mustard.
- Once thickened, turn heat to low and add cream cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Stir in sour cream and hot sauce.
- Stir in macaroni, chicken and blue cheese. Sprinkle with green onions.
Spicy Southern Kitchen’s Tips for making Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese:
- Use a rotisserie chicken for ease and convenience.
- Pretty much any shape of pasta can be used. Penne and shells work well.
- If you want it to be extra spicy, up the hot sauce from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup and serve with extra hot sauce.
- I use Frank’s Hot Sauce, but you could use a different sauce.