Recipe Of The Week: Cinnamon Baked Apples
IngredientsAPPLES 6-7 medium to large apples (2 tart like granny smith, 4 sweet like honeycrisp // amount as original recipe is written // organic when possible) 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 Tbsp coconut oil (optional) 2/3 cup coconut sugar (or sub organic cane sugar // sub up to half with stevia to taste) 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 3/4 tsp fresh grated ginger 1 pinch nutmeg 3 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch (for thickening the sauce) 3 Tbsp fresh apple juice or water 1 pinch sea salt
FOR SERVING optionalCoconut Whipped Cream Vanilla Bean Coconut Ice Cream*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and set out a 9×13-inch (or similar size) baking dish.
- Peel and core apples, quarter, and use a paring knife to thinly slice lengthwise (see photo). The thinner the better! Just try to be consistent so they cook evenly.
- Add to baking dish and top with lemon juice, coconut oil (optional), coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cornstarch (or arrowroot), apple juice (or water), and a healthy pinch of salt. Toss to combine. Then loosely cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes (covered). Then carefully remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the apples are very fork tender (especially in the center of the dish) and slightly caramelized.
- Enjoy as is or with Coconut Whipped Cream or Vanilla Bean Coconut Ice Cream! Best when fresh, though leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave or in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven (covered) until warmed through. Add a bit of water if the “caramel” sauce is too thick.