Recipe of the Week: Spicy Green Chili Rice with Turkey
This one-pot recipe comes from Mahatma Rice and comes together easily as a weeknight dinner.
- 2 cups Mahatma® White Rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz) tomatillos, puréed
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15.5 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (4 oz) green chilies, drained
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Lime wedges, for serving
Directions: Step 1
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or ovenproof saucepan set over medium-high heat; cook turkey, and 1 tsp each salt and pepper for 10 to 12 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
In the same pan, cook onion, poblano pepper, celery, serrano peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and remaining salt and pepper for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender.
Stir in broth, tomatillos, water, pinto beans, green chilies and brown sugar; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 10 minutes. Stir in rice and reserved turkey. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Meanwhile preheat broiler. Sprinkle cheese over chili; broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Sprinkle with green onions and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.