Recipe Of The Week: Stuffed Mushrooms
Ingredients:24 (2-inch wide) cremini or white button mushrooms (about 1 pound) 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided 2 small stalks celery 1 small shallot 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves 2 ounces whole-milk low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup) 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup) 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder Pinch red pepper flakes (optional) 1/4 cup dry white wine or low-sodium vegetable broth 1 cup panko breadcrumbs 1 large egg
- Heat the oven to 350ºF. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Clean the mushrooms and remove the stems. Gently wipe 24 large mushrooms with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel to remove any dirt. Remove the stems by holding the cap in your hand and gently wiggling the stem back and forth until it releases. Reserve the stems.
- Remove the gills. Use a spoon to gently scrape out and discard the mushroom gills to make room for the stuffing.
- Toss the mushroom caps with oil, salt, and pepper. Place mushroom caps in a large bowl and gently toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper, making sure not to break the mushrooms. Arrange the mushroom caps stem-side up on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Prepare the vegetables and cheese. Coarsely chop the mushroom stems (about 1 1/4 cups). Finely chop 2 small stalks celery (about 1/2 cup) and 1 large shallot (about 2 tablespoons). Chop until you have 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves. Shred 2 ounces mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup) and grate 1 ounce Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup).
- Cook the stuffing. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the celery and shallot and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushroom stems to stuffing. Add the mushroom stems, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, a pinch red pepper flakes, if using, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Cook until mushrooms brown. Cook until the liquid evaporates and the mushrooms begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan. Add 1/4 cup white wine or vegetable broth and cook until the liquid evaporates, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add herbs and breadcrumbs to the stuffing. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the parsley and 1 cup panko breadcrumbs.
- Whisk eggs and cheese together. Whisk the mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and 1 large egg together in a large bowl.
- Add egg mixture to the stuffing. Add the breadcrumb mixture and stir to combine.
- Stuff the mushrooms. Divide the filling between the mushroom caps (about 2 teaspoons per mushroom). The filling may mound up, but press it down to fill the cavity.
- Bake the mushrooms for 20 to 25 minutes. Bake until the mushrooms are tender, the filling is hot, and tops are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
RECIPE NOTESMake ahead: Mushrooms can be stuffed up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated. Add 2 to 3 minutes to the baking time to ensure a golden and crisp filling. Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. See full recipe here.