Here’s an easy and healthy dish you can make on a busy weeknight. It uses microwave-in-bag rice and broccoli to cut down on cooking time, but you can always use the regular version too! Recipe from Myrecipes.com
- 2 (3 1/2-ounce) bags boil-in-bag brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 8 ounces presliced button mushrooms
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) bag microwave-in-bag fresh broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
Preheat broiler to high. Cook rice according to package directions; drain.
While rice cooks, heat a large 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, mushrooms, and chicken; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Sauté 6 minutes or until chicken and onion are done.
Cook broccoli in microwave according to package directions for 3 minutes. Open package to release steam.
Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk or fork until smooth.
Stir milk mixture into chicken mixture in skillet.
Cook 2 minutes or until bubbly and thick, stirring frequently.
Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, rice, and broccoli. Sprinkle with cheese.
Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts and just begins to brown.
Substitutions: Not a fan of broccoli? Try cauliflower, spinach, green peas, carrots, or green beans instead. In place of rice, use 3 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked). You can even use ground beef instead of chicken.