Regifting rules to live by
Absolutely. A recent study shows that 92% of Americans think it’s perfectly A-OK to regift, so rewrap away! Besides, 83% of Americans don’t mind receiving a regifted gift. They are just happy that you thought of them.
We all have received gifts that we have absolutely no use for that are still sitting in their boxes. While a gift might not be a fit for you, it could be regifted and given to someone else who would have the perfect space for it. After all, as the saying goes: “somebody’s trash is somebody else’s treasure”.
Regifting has become so commonplace that we even have a designated day for it. National Regifting Day falls during the 3rd week of December, right in the middle of all of the holiday party season. This year, it falls on December 20.
According to Emily Post, there is a proper etiquette for the whole regifting process, of course. It includes thanking the giver profusely, even if it means putting on an Academy Award worthy act. But, even Ms. Post considers regifting to be a perfectly acceptable way to give a gift.
There are, however, certain rules you’ll probably want to follow when giving a regifted gift.
Avoid regifting if:
- The gift that was broken or already used. That’s really not considered a gift.
- The item is something personal that was given to you. That shouldn’t be regifted.
- If it’s something that is out of style, don’t give it as a gift.
- A two-year-old fruitcake or a bottle of flat champagne aren’t good gifts for anyone, unless they are gag gifts… literally.
You don’t want to cause any hurt feelings on either end, the one who gave and the one who will be receiving. So there is no need to announce to anyone that you are regifting anything. Some things are just better left unsaid.
If you are unsure about whether or not to regift that horrible holiday theme sweater, there is another saying to live by…When in doubt, just don’t do it.
You might also like:
• Healthy ways to sip this holiday season
• Fashion inspired by the ’12 days of Christmas’ carol
• Using ShopAtHome app to comparison shop in store
• Holiday gift guide to smartphones
• Gifts ideas for husbands, boyfriends
• Free Shipping Day is Dec. 17. What is Free Shipping Day?