Rules for shopping clearance racks & where to find this month’s best sales
Oh, February: The month we find true love on sales racks. (And, for us online shoppers, sales racks = “sales tabs” on our computer screen). Our favorite retailers are deeply discounting gorgeous apparel and accessories. During this transition month between winter and spring, retailers are doing a little early spring cleaning — clearing out cold weather pieces, and even some early spring arrivals, to make room for summer clothes.
Here are our rules for shopping sales racks, to get the most bang for your buck and a compilation of some of the cutest sales pieces that are flirting with us this month:
• Buy in your size. Sometimes sales racks have limited sizes. No matter how great a deal those shoes are, don’t try to put a size 10 on your size 8 feet. Even if you stuff them with tissue paper, you’ll be flopping around like you have webbed duck feet. If you can’t find your size online, check with the stores — or vice versa.
• Shop classics. We are drawn to more classic and versatile staples on the sales racks because we know it’s a sure thing that they’ll be in style next year, too. Try to steer clear of super-trendy pieces because they may expire in a couple of seasons.
• Buy weather-appropriate clothes: Shopping is more fun when you can wear the clothes you buy immediately. This time of year, look for lightweight sweaters and jackets, jeans, long sleeve T-shirts and other pieces that will help you transition to spring with comfort and style.
This silk Tabitha Dress from Anthropologie is marked down from $278 to $69.95. The blue and red watercolor-like printed dress with a classic hemline could be worn alone as a summer picnic dress. But, wear it now with an olive military jacket and tights.
• Only buy what you love: Quiz yourself by asking “Would I really like this skirt if it were full price?” Resist the urge to buy something just because it’s cheap.
Want to save even more on your clearance finds? Click here for free shipping coupons from ShopAtHome.com.
Other articles you might also like:
• PETA scolds Beyonce for wearing iguana, python leather at Super Bowl
• New York Fashion Week Designer Prabal Gurung to launch Target line
• The best Valentine’s jewelry starting at just $6
• Human tails, bagel heads, bird poop: The 3 most insane beauty trends
• How to score free beauty products
• The most versatile neutrals for your closet
• Where to find conversational print T-shirts