Save 30% off last-minute Memorial Day vacation deals
By Aimee Heckel
Suddenly, it’s Memorial Day weekend. How did that happen?
There’s always a bump in travel over this springy three-day weekend, especially for outdoor locations, like lakes and campgrounds. Experts expect Memorial Day travel to increase this year, marking the second busiest travel volume since 2000, according to AAA Travel.
If you want to get the most out of this holiday but forgot to plan ahead, here are some fun ideas and last-minute Memorial Day vacation deals for 2014:
1. Hit the pavement. Eight in 10 travelers plan on driving to their destination this weekend, according to AAA Travel. It’s a great chance for a short road trip within your state. The campgrounds and lakes will be packed, so think about exploring that old mining town, ghost town or historical community you’ve always been curious about. Or pack a backpack and find a campsite off the beaten path.
2. Don’t forget trains and other automobiles. Rent a motorcycle. Hop on a Greyhound. Set off on a mini bike tour around vineyards. The roads will be busy, and so will the airports. So make your own way.
3. Be wary of hiked up prices. Travel companies know the demand will be up, so AAA Travel warns to expect a 6 percent increase in airfare, a 2 percent jump in mid-range hotel costs and a 1 percent increase in rental car prices.
Offset these increases with Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com, paired with coupons from your favorite travel website. With these travel coupons, you can save money on everything from rental cars to airfare to entertainment.
Some of the best Cash Back deals right now include:
- 30 percent Cash Back from TripAdvisor
- 6 percent Cash Back from Booking.com
- 8 percent Cash Back from Comfort Inn
- 5 percent Cash Back from Southwest Vacations
- 12 percent Cash Back from Hotel Planner
- $25 Cash Back from One Travel
TripAdvisor’s 30 percent Cash Back is one of the highest Cash Back offerings for travel that we’ve seen in a long time. In addition, get 25 percent off your hotel, no coupon code required. Read more articles about saving money on TripAdvisor here.
Other articles you might also enjoy: