How to win first place in an ugly Christmas sweater contest
By Brittany Anas
A funny thing happened: Ugly Christmas sweaters — once reserved for Saturday Night Live skits, quirky aunts and hipsters — have some how, some way become cool. And, boy oh boy, has that confused the economic laws and everything you ever learned about supply and demand. In the early era of “ugly Christmas sweater” parties, you could saunter into a thrift store hours before a late-December soiree and have your pick from the snowman sweater accented by floppy cotton balls or the bright sweater that could actually light up with the help of a battery-powered switch. Unless of course you wanted a sweater depicting a cat opening up a Christmas present, complete with decorative tinsel. Ugly Christmas sweaters once overflowed on thrift store racks.
But if you’re headed to an ugly Christmas sweater party this December or going on a festive run with a similar theme, your chances of finding an atrocious and festive sweater at the thrift store are slim to nil. They sold out in early November, likely. It seems the kitschy sweaters have become cool. Even Nike is releasing an “Ugly Christmas Sweater” themed shoe. And, the stakes are high in the ugly sweater contests — some coming with big cash prizes.
Fret not, though. You can still find some ugly sweaters as Target started selling them this holiday season. Here’s some that will act as your pass to get into the Ugly Christmas Party circuit this year.
- ‘This is my Ugly Christmas Sweater’ Sweater, $22.99 — states the obvious and is starring a shocked gingerbread man with some fair isle patterns. (Pictured)
- Men’s Stocking Kitties, $23.99. Kittens playing peek-a-boo out of stockings and random candy canes. ‘Nuff said.
- Star Wars Christmas Fleece Sweatshirt, $23.99. Is there a Geek-Chic category in the contest? (Pictured)
Here’s a few tips to help you win first place at your next Ugly Christmas Sweater party:
- Layer up. So you know everybody will be at the Ugly Christmas Sweater Party in just that — an Ugly Christmas Sweater. Take it to the next level with a turtleneck, preferably one with a kitschy pattern and that brings back bad style memories of elementary school when your mom dressed you for school pictures and feathered your bangs with Rave hairspray.
- Clash. Ugly sweater with jeans? Apparently that’s cool these days. Throw on some plaid pants. Or leopard pants. Or anything with a really loud pattern to compete with your sweater.
- Light up the night. Taking that sweater up a notch might involve a little investment, but consider it a long-term one because Christmas sweater parties are here to stay. Find do-dads at MyUglyChristmasSweater.com — like attachable lights to give a more realistic portrayal of Rudolph’s nose or to that gawdy Christmas tree embellishing your sweater.
Read more articles about Target here.
Other articles you might also like: