Shark Week-inspired travel, part 2 — and how to keep safe from sharks
By Aimee Heckel
Seriously. Is he?
We recently wrote about three great ways to transform your love of Shark Week into a vacation.
Here are three more adventurous and sharky vacation ideas inspired by Shark Week:
1. Visit the National Aquarium in Baltimore or Washington, D.C.
Get “uncomfortably close” to the sharks at this aquarium tour. If you’re brave, walk the catwalk, with sharks swimming just inches below you. This behind-the-scenes, educational shark tour costs $35.95 for children and $44.95 for adults.
Looking to save money in DC? Book a hotel through Travelocity, where you can find 100 hotels under $100 a night — as well as more than 50 other online coupons for Travelocity — plus get 10 percent Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com.
2. Go on a “shark diving” excursion. Companies like Great White Adventures leads shark diving expeditions in the United States and Mexico. Get up close and personal with sharks off the Farallon Islands of San Francisco and the Guadalupe Islands.
The trip is led by professional mariners and/or divers who boast a perfect safety record for divers — and sharks. Great White Adventures also boasts a 100 percent success rate of locating and bringing participants to sharks in Guadalupe Island.
3. Looking for something a little fancy? Check out Luxury Shark Diving; take a luxurious yacht out to the waters, get in the cage and dive in.
Some tips include:
- Don’t swim at dusk, dawn or night.
- Don’t enter the water if you’re bleeding or have open wounds.
- Avoid murky water.
- Don’t wear shiny jewelry or high-contrast clothes.
- Don’t splash excessively.
- Keep splashing pets out of the water.
Looking for more travel coupons and ways to save big on your next vacation? Check out this extensive list of travel coupons.
Other articles you might also like: