Shopping playbook: How to score 3.1 Phillip Lim at Target
By Brittany Anas
First, a little retail history lesson. When Target teamed up with Missoni a couple of years ago, the collection was so popular it crashed their websites and got snapped up during the first hours (maybe even minutes) it was in stores.
We’re calling it: The forthcoming 3.1 Phillip Lim capsule collection that hits Target on Sunday is going to be hot. (It’s being dubbed “Limsanity” in the Twittersphere) And it probably will go fast because we’re coming off the heels of New York Fashion Week where 3.1 Phillip Lim had a standout show and fashionistas like Jessica Alba were photographed wearing pieces from his soon-to-be-debuted Target collection.
Also, some of the sketches and promotional photos show that Lim is treating us to some of his most popular designs — ones that retail for nearly $1,000 — for a teensy, weensy fraction of the cost. We thought our eyes were playing tricks on us when we saw that a near double of Lim’s Pashli Satchel, which sells for $895, will be in his Target collection for $34.99. Other popular fast sellers will probably be a floral-printed shift dress and a trench coat that looks awfully close to a design that retails for nearly $900.
Here’s your strategy for getting what’s on your wish list before it sells out and hits online auctions at a marked-up price.
- Shop online. This is a no-brainer. We know you’ve got better things to do than camp out in the Target parking lot and fight crowds early Sunday morning. So, shop the collection from the comfort of your home. Plus, the full 3.1 Phillip Lim collection will be online. About two dozen pieces are online exclusives. You’ll also save by shopping online. ShopAtHome.com is offering 2 percent Cash Back on Target purchases.
- The late owl gets the worm. Target hasn’t said exactly what time the 3.1 Phillip Lim Collection will go online. But, we’re guessing if you can stay up late, you’ll be rewarded.
- Know exactly what you want. Do your homework first and shop a preview. Here’s the full lookbook.
- Know the rules. You’re limited to buying three pieces of one item.
- Go suburban. If you’re shopping in the stores, go to a suburban store. You’ll likely have better luck as the stores in the city tend to have their collections sell out more quickly.
Read more articles about Target here.
Other articles you might also like: