Show some leg: 5 hosiery trends to try this fall
By Brittany Anas
It might be a few cold months before your bare legs make another appearance. (Yeah, that means give the razor a little break from the daily grind). But the cooler months don’t mean your legs need to be confined in just jeans and slacks.
One of the biggest fall 2013 trends is fun and flirty tights. These ain’t your mama’s pantyhose. Stripes, polka dots, unruly lines are patterning hosiery this season. Socks playing peek-a-boo from the tops of boots is a cute weekend trend. And, bring on the sexy leatherette leggings. The idea that ties the looks together: Fall hosiery isn’t just a necessity — but can be the stand-out piece in an outfit.
Here are five trends for you and your glam gams to try out this fall — starting with the easiest trend to pull off and working our way up to the most daring look. We shopped Nordstrom for these styles. For a limited time, ShopAtHome.com has included Nordstrom in its Cash Back blowout and you can get 12 percent back from the department store.
- Colored tights. For the past few autumns, sheer colored tights have been trending. This fall we’re noticing them in quintessential autumn colors — browns, burgundy, deep greens. Our fave? These DKNY ‘412’ Control Top Opaque Tights in plum. The color would look amazing with a camel-colored dress or skirt or any shade of gray.
- Python print. Ready to graduate from colored tights? How about animal prints? These Calvin Klein Python Printed Pantyhose come in a smoky gray and black shade or “rhone,” which is a rich red with brown hues. Make these the statement piece in an outfit by pairing them with a more traditional, solid-color dress.
- Patterned over-the-knee sock. For a boho-chic look, pair an earthy, patterned pair of socks — like these Free People Space Dyed socks — with a neutral boot. Let the patterned sock peek out over the top of the boot. For a bolder look, try wearing the high socks with ankle boots. Again, this trend builds on previous years when neutral, cozy knit socks peeked out of boots.
- Striped tights. Definitely made for the fashion forward, these Alice + Olivia striped tights have banded, glittery horizontal stripes. These statement tights are perfect for holiday parties and match the spirit of, say, a leather mini skirt.
- (Almost) Leather leggings. Va-va-voom. These leggings are fierce and can add a little pop of glam when paired with an oversized knit sweater or loose-fitting tunic.
Read more articles about Nordstrom here.
Other articles you might also like: