Cool off with these signature summer cocktail recipes
It could be that the workweek pressure combined with the heat have you dreaming of a cool beverage and a beach.
The latter may not be affordable to those in landlocked states, but that tasty beverage is within reach. And you’ll have plenty of time to experiment with a few summer cocktails before your next gathering – we’re betting right around July 4.
A couple of tips: If you’re on a budget, you don’t need to impress the crowd with a full bar. Simply stock plenty of wine and beer – and come up with one signature drink that will impress family and friends.
Another tip: Check out the grocery coupons page. For the fan of rum and Coke, for instance, savvy shoppers could find Cash Back savings on the cola, so consider searching for coupons on anything from mixers to garnishes.
We’ll start with this recipe from the Cooking Channel. This is a perfect pick for an elegant summertime event. The recipe will serve four.
4 ¼ cups cubed seedless watermelon
¼ cup vanilla-infused vodka
1/8 cup triple sec
1 ½ ounces lime juice
Champagne for topping the drinks
- Blend watermelon until smooth. Using a sieve, remove pulp. Refrigerate watermelon juice for a half hour.
- Combine watermelon juice with remaining ingredients, and pour into champagne flutes, leaving enough room for a splash of champagne.
Strawberry Daiquiri Jello Shots:
For those who want to have a whole lot of fun, remember: there’s a college student lurking in all of us. This “grown-up” version of a Jell-O shot from “delish” is a snap to make.
25 large strawberries
3 ounces strawberry gelatin
1 cup water
1 cup rum
Juice of three limes
Sugar for rim
- Cut top off berries and gently hollow out middle of each berry (if you have a tiny melon-baller, that will work).
- Dissolve gelatin in water. Add rum and lime juice and gently ladle mixture into strawberries, propping them so they sit upright. Let set in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Once set, or sprinkle the top with sugar.
And for those who want a classic in a hurry, allrecipes.com offers this quick hit.
1 6-ounce can frozen limeade concentrate
6 ounces tequila
2 ounces triple sec
- Fill a blender with crushed ice.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend
- Pour into four glasses.