Why skipping breakfast causes weight gain + 3 easy recipes for the morning
Feb. 13 is National Break-Up Day. Womp, womp. What a downer. Let’s turn that into something positive. How about breaking up with your sugary breakfasts?
Want in on a little secret that is well-known among dietitians? People who eat breakfast tend to be healthier. Skipping breakfast leads to weight gain and sluggish metabolism. So while you may think that playing hooky from breakfast is saving calories, it could be pushing you to eat high-calorie lunches and dinners and snack more because you’re more hungry.
Here are some delicious breakfast ideas that will start your day off right.
• Cinnamon apple steel cut oats in slow cooker: First … a little oat primer. Rolled oats are good. Steel cut oats are better because they are processed less and take longer to digest, meaning they keep you full longer.
Here’s how you make it:
• 3 cups of chopped gala apples. (About 2 large apples). You can leave the peel on if you want extra fiber.
• 1 1/2 cup water
• 1 1/2 cup skim milk
• 1 cup uncooked oats.
• 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
• 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 Teaspoon salt
• (Optional) Garnish with dates, nuts or more fruit
Coat your slow cooker with cooking spray. (Otherwise it takes an archaeologist’s tools to chip out the oats). Add all of the ingredients — except the optional toppings — and swirl them together. Cook on low low overnight. Go to sleep and you’ll wake up to an aroma of apples and sugar.
Serving size: 3/4 cups. 149 calories. 4 grams of fat. 4 grams fiber. 27 grams of carbs. Makes seven servings and can be re-heated.
• Cereal sundae: Measure a cup of your favorite bran cereal. Top it with a 1/2 cup of non-fat yogurt. (We like strawberry)! Top with mixed berries and almonds. Boom. You’ve got fruit, fiber and protein. Heck, even eat it out of a cute sundae bowl — like these bright and cheery dishes from Uncommon Goods.
• Bistro box: One of our favorite treats from Starbucks is the bistro boxes. If you’re in a rush, grab a bistro box with your morning coffee. You can also customize one of your own at home. These Klip-It cube containers from One Step Ahead can be loaded with lots of nutritious combinations. Boiled eggs, protein-packed peanut butter, almonds, apples, strawberries, dollops of yogurt, swiss cheese. The combinations are endless and a great “on-the-go” option.
Other articles you might also like:
• Cops and robbers on bikes and other ways to exercise with your kids
• The best free food journals and how they can accelerate your weight loss
• Lifeguarding to pro football offers: Who were America’s fittest presidents?
• Face-time: Simple ways to get a more youthful look
• Five yummy ‘superfoods’ you should be eating if you want to lose weight
• Diet secrets and work-out regimens of runway models