Keep your skin safe while traveling this summer
By Aimee Heckel
You can’t have a proper beach vacation without sunshine. But just because you’re off the clock doesn’t mean your health should be.
Here are some important tips to help you keep your skin safe while you’re traveling this summer.
1. Always put on sunscreen. First thing in the morning, when you brush your teeth and comb your hair, put on sunscreen. This should be a ritual, whether you’re on vacation or not, and whether you plan on spending time in the sun or not.
2. Pick a natural sunscreen without chemicals like oxybenzone. Although there are varying opinions on chemicals like this, some organizations have expressed concerns with some sunscreen ingredients. Look for sunscreen with the less controversial ingredients of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which are effective, safe and also appropriate for kids. People with sensitive skin may not be able to use products with the ingredient “PABA.”
For a good list of safe sunscreens, check out this list by the Environmental Working Group and this list by SafeMama, like Badger All Natural Sunscreens. Pick up Badger brands at Drugstore.com for about $16. Use these coupons to save you money at Drugstore.com, plus get 5 percent Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com.
Read more articles about Drugstore.com here.
3. Take extra precautions while traveling. The UV rays are the strongest during the summer (and remember, this may be a different time of year in different countries); near the equator, at higher altitudes and near the water (the rays reflect off the water, magnifying them); and usually between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., or when the sun is overhead.
4. Shield yourself. Wear cool, long-sleeved shirts, pants or long dresses, when you’re not swimming. Wear sunglasses and hats, stay under beach umbrellas and get a pop-up tent for your kids.
5. Choose the proper SPF. A sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher that shields from both UVA and UVB rays is best. Put it on about 30 minutes before you go outside and reapply every two hours — or more, if you go in the water. If you plan on swimming, pick up a bottle of waterproof sunscreen.
6. If you want to look tan, use a self-tanning lotion or get a spray tan before you leave. If you arrive to the beach already looking tan, you are less likely to want to sit out and bake in the sun.
Save money on your next vacation with these travel coupons.
Other articles you might also enjoy: