6 ‘get skinny’ secrets from Jillian Michaels, author of ‘Slim for Life’
Leading health and wellness expert Jillian Michaels has released Slim for Life, her latest book, where she dishes her secrets to simple and lasting weight loss.
Her little tricks and rules — stand on one foot while brushing your teeth and never eat anything out of big, bottomless bags — are easy to incorporate into real life and can turn into real results.
Michael’s credentials are hardcore: She was an original trainer on the hit show The Biggest Loser, before starring in her own spin-off show, Losing it with Jillian. She’s also created 15 fitness DVDs, has a fitness game for the Wii and some of her past books — Master Your Metabolism and Unlimited — made it onto The New York Times best-seller list.
Can’t wait to get your hands on her new book? We’ve gleaned six unique tips from Slim for Life that can help you reach your weight-loss goals.
- Caffeine before you work out: Michaels says she always drinks 200 milligrams of caffeine 25 minutes before exercising because it helps her work out harder and longer and taps into the body’s fat storage. Her recommendation: Celsius, a pre-workout beverage with 200 mg of caffeine, which helps boost metabolism, reduce body fat and amp up endurance. Find Celsius at GNC and get 5 percent Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com.
- Wreak havoc on your plate: Forget what your mom told you when you were a kid: You don’t have to clean your plate. Next time you’re full and can’t stop picking at your plate out of habit, Michaels suggests doing what you can to wreck it. Pour salt on it, or pour some of your drink on it so you won’t be tempted to keep eating.
- Stand up: Whenever you can, stand up instead of sitting. Simply standing up burns one and a half times more calories than sitting down. So, next time you’re in a crowded meeting, volunteer to give up your chair.
- Live in the red: When it comes to eating, strive to live in the red — meaning you burn more calories in a day than you consume. A calorie is a unit of energy, and the energy you don’t use gets stored as fat.
- Clean out your kitchen: Go through your kitchen, freezer, fridge and pantry and get rid of all the fattening junk food. You can’t eat what’s not there.
- Buy slim-sized portions: Instead of cutting out foods that you love entirely from your diet, just order or buy smaller portions, Michaels suggests. For example, choose a kid’s ice cream cone or order a “tall” at Starbucks. The same is true at the grocery store: Buy the mini-bagels and the 4-ounce yogurt containers, instead of the 6-ounce cups. This portion control trick will help you cut down on your caloric intake.
Other articles you might also like:
• Three ways to sneak in exercise while you’re on vacation
• Put this — not that — on top of your frozen yogurt
• Fitness instructor Cassey Ho creates ‘Great Gatsby’ inspired work-out
• 5 easy ways to lower your blood pressure — trust us, you’ll enjoy them
• How to host a smashing Great Gatsby party