9 smart snacks to keep you healthy this holiday season
By Brittany Anas
It’s the most wonderful time of year, yes. But it’s also a dangerous time of year for our diets — between holiday parties and the hustle and bustle of shopping that leads us to the fast-food drive thru lanes because we’re in a hurry to get to the next sale.
So, here’s a little secret to help maintain a healthy weight during the holiday season: It’s time to get snacking. Let’s make sure we’re on the same page, though, when we’re talking about snacks. Ice cream, chips and those delicious chocolate and peanut butter bullseye cookies Aunt Martha brings to the cookie exchange every year? Those are treats. Not snacks.
A snack packs a nutritional punch and will keep you fueled between meals. Ideally, it includes a form of protein and some fiber to keep you full. The key to keeping a healthy metabolism is to make sure you’re eating every three to four hours. When you’re stomach starts growling, your tank is on “E.”
Here is a great recipe to keep you snacking healthy this holiday season:
- Honey roasted snack mix, recipe courtesy of Vitacost.
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1/4 cup of slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup pecans pieces
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup organic honey
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (fresh or bottled)
Directions: Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add honey and stir for two minutes or until mixture begins to bubble. Toss in nuts, sunflower seeds and spices. Cook for 8 minutes until the nuts are golden brown. Stir in the raisins. Spread the mix evenly on the prepared baking sheet and let it cool.
Here’s 9 snack ideas to help keep you fueled during this most wonderful — and most busy — time of the year. Instead of adding more errands to your list, you can find a lot of these healthy snacks at Vitacost, a healthy online shop that sells vitamins, supplements and organic groceries. Not only will buying online save you time, but you’ll also earn 6 percent Cash Back on your purchases through ShopAtHome.com.
- Newman’s Own Organic High-Protein Pretzels paired with an apple.
- Organic dried cranberries sweetened with apple juice. Mix with some almonds for a quick snack.
- Ants on a log, grown up style. Spread a low fat cream cheese on celery and garnish with raisins.
- Apples and almond butter.
- Snapped pea crisps. The Snapea original crisps are lightly salted — but you can also get the crisps with a caesar, black pepper or wasabi ranch seasoning.
- Kind plus protein bars with dark chocolate and peanut butter
- Multi grain crackers with some slices of a low-fat cheese like mozzarella. Top with dried cranberries or raisins for a little sweetness.
- Deli turkey and a couple pieces of cheese
- Black bean chips and guacamole
Read more articles about Vitacost here.
Other articles you might also like: