Sneak peek: Celeb stylist Kate Young launching ‘red carpet’ line for Target
By Brittany Anas
Meet Kate Young, the celebrity stylist who is next up in Target’s line of designer collaborators. She’s put together red carpet looks for stars like Natalie Portman, who is still sizzling from the awards season and Rachel Weisz, who stars in Oz the Great and Powerful, which is topping box office charts.
Come April 14, Young will be styling Target shoppers.
The limited-edition collection of accessories and clothing will be semi-formal. (Just claim seniority if you find yourself fighting over a dress with a teenager who is shopping for prom).
“With this collection, I wanted to design standout pieces that allow women to experiment with fashion and create their own red carpet moments,” Young said in a news release.
(We’re fanning ourselves. No paparazzi, please).
Target promises that Young’s collection will include special occasion dresses, stand-alone separates, jewelry, handbags and shoes. Pieces from the collection will range in price from $14.99 to $89.99.
Target first partnered with architect Michael Graves in 1999. Since then, the store has worked with more than 100 designers. Romantic pieces from the Prabal Gurung collection are still in Target stores. Other notable collaborations have included a nearly instant sell-out with Missoni and, recently, a partnership with Neiman Marcus.
Young got her start at Vogue magazine and is now a powerful stylist in the fashion industry. In fact, she styled the launch of Jason Wu for Target a year ago. She recently made The Hollywood Reporter‘s list of the 25 most powerful stylists. She’s also worked with Armani Exchange and Ann Taylor.
Here are five trends we are spotting from an early release of the Kate Young for Target lookbook.
• Big bows! We’ve seen Young tie together her own look with a big white bow. At least one of her semi-formal black dresses will include the ultra-feminine detail.
• Peek-a-boo cuts. Trending big this spring are unexpected cuts on dresses that show a little more skin than usual. At least one of Young’s dresses is sure to have some sharp, geometric cuts on the back.
• J. Lo leg slits. A red gown Young designed for Target has a thigh-high slit that totally reminds us of something J. Lo would sport on the red carpet. And, seeing as the dress is Target red, naturally we wonder whether store employees might be able to wear it to work.
• Semi-sheer polka dots. Cute for layering, this top reminds us of the cover photo shoot our favorite little comeback pop tart Britney Spears did with Lucky magazine this winter.
• Peter Pan collars. Named after the collar that Maude Adams wore in Peter Pan back in a 1905 production of the play, this flat, rounded-at-the corners collar has made a recent comeback. One of Young’s dress looks includes the style atop a black and white dress.
Other articles you might also like:
• Hangover 3 coming to theaters + packing list for a wild Vegas trip
• Easy, 5-step guide for picking out gorgeous bridesmaid dresses
• What went wrong in girl’s viral hair-burning video
• Biggest fashion moments for soap operas
• The most flattering bathing suits for your body type
• Puppy love: Quevenzhané Wallis’ purse makes playful style statemen