Spin the color wheel: Experts reveal which shades are “in” for fall
By Brittany Anas
With every new season comes new trends — different design details, new (or renewed) patterns, a shift in hemlines. But, designers are also keeping their color palettes fresh with the “it” colors and shade combinations that have been trending on the runways. (If you’ve ever questioned whether colors can be trendy, just take a look at 1970’s kitchen appliances).
If you’re a fashionista on a budget, one of the easiest ways to stay atop of the trends without breaking the bank is playing with color by mixing and matching pieces already in your closet and adding in a few classics.
The Pantone color institute, the world’s leading authority on color, keeps an eye on New York Fashion Week, helping influence what colors top designers will be using in their forthcoming lines. The institute’s experts also have a keen eye for what colors play well together.
Here’s what colors are on tap for fall 2014, according to our friends at Pantone. As a bonus, we’ve shopped looks at JC Penney that infuse the colors of the season. When you shop at JC Penney, you’ll get 8 percent Cash Back on your purchases courtesy of ShopAtHome.com. Also, see how you can earn a $500 gift card to JC Penney here.
Fall 2014 will be anything but ordinary, says Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute.
“This is a season of untypical colors—more reflective of the imagination and ingenuity, which makes for an artful collection of colors and combinations not bound by the usual hues for fall,” she says in a news release.
The top colors for fall 2014 are as follows:
- Sangria, an exotic red. We see hints of purple in it.
- Aurora Red, a sophisticated shade of red. (We love it paired with camel).
- Mauve Mist, a romantic shade of purple.
- Radiant Orchid, Pantone’s color of the year
- Cypress, a powerful green that pairs with either of the purples
- Bright Cobalt, has a slight green undertone and is a bit more subtle than traditional cobalt blue. Pantone suggests pairing with sangria and cypress.
- Royal blue, a more exciting alternative to navy.
- Cognac, this “classy and cultured brown take a typical autumnal color to a sumptuous realm, making the shade unexpectedly ideal for evening wear,” according to Pantone.
- Misted Yellow, this soft yellow adds a ray of sunlight to the fall 2014 palette. Expect to see it on prints, promises Pantone.
Here are a few of our favorite pieces in the season’s hottest colors:
- A breezy, colorblocked blouse in radiant orchid, the color of the year. (On sale for $29.99).
- A ribbed knit cobalt blue dress with a sweetheart neckline and elbow length sleeves. (On sale for $39.99).
- Liz Claiborne royal blue wrap dress for $60.
(Vote for your fave fall color here).
Read more articles about JC Penney here.
Other articles you might also like:
- 5 swoon-worthy trends from New York Fashion Week
- 5 tips for making sure you never make a shopping mistake again
- Geek-chic! Rodarte making Star Wars happen in fashion?