Healthy choices at the drive-through + fast-food coupons and freebies
McDonald’s new 250-calorie “egg white delight” that is debuting this week on drive-through screens has got us thinking about the possibility of healthy fast-food options. The healthier McMuffin is prepared with 100 percent egg whites, extra lean Canadian bacon and white cheddar. Customers can now ask for egg whites on any existing egg-and-cheese breakfast sandwiches.
The new egg white sandwich is part of the fast-food giant’s “Commitments to Offer Improved Nutrition Choices,” that was announced in 2011. McDonald’s will be rolling out blueberry-pomegranate smoothies May 15.
While it’s always best for your diet to cook at home, we know that life gets hectic. That’s why we’re taking the news of egg white breakfast sandwiches as an opportunity to scout out some of the healthier fast-food options for those days you forget your lunch, have a jam-packed schedule, or just flat-out have a craving.
Here are some quick orders you can make at the drive-thru window that will save you calories and fat, but also satisfy your cravings:
- McDonald’s: Your inner glutton is craving a Big Mac (550 calories, 29 fat grams) and a milkshake (530 calories, 15 fat grams). Meet her half way. Opt instead for a regular hamburger (250 calories, 9 fat grams) that doesn’t have mayo. Need a bigger burger? Ask to load it up with extra veggies like tomatoes, onions, pickles. Treat yourself to a kiddie ice cream cone (45 calories, 1.5 fat grams) Total calories saved: 785. Total fat grams saved: 33.5.
- Taco Bell: You’re craving a Cheesy Gordita Crunch (490 calories, 29 fat grams) and the pintos and cheese (180 calories, 7 fat grams) that you used to eat in college when your metabolism was turbo-charged. Draw your eyes instead to Taco Bell’s fresco menu. Order a fresco crunchy taco (140 calories, 8 fat grams) and a side of black beans (80 calories, 1.5 fat grams) will give you some added fiber. Total calories saved: 450. Total fat grams saved: 26.5.
- Wendy’s: You’re about to order an Asiago Ranch Chicken Club (740 calories, 38 fat grams) and a large Coke (320 calories) but you’re conscience kicks in. Get a grilled chicken wrap (270 calories, 11 fat grams) and a medium unsweetened iced tea (5 calories). Total calories saved: 785. Total fat grams saved: 27.
Here are some free online coupons and food deals to some of your favorite fast-food restaurants:
- Get money off your next order at Long John Silver’s with these free printable coupons.
- Get $1 off any $10 purchase at Boston Market.
- Get a free coffee at Steak ‘n Shake from midnight to 6 a.m. with any purchase. (No coupon needed)
- Get $1 off any Jim Beam Bourbon Thickburger combo at Hardees
- Get a free 6 inch sandwich at Subway when you buy one before 9 a.m. (April only, no coupon needed)
Other articles you might also like:
• Skinny cocktails, backyard games and other healthy ways to celebrate Mother’s Day
• Race organizers increase security following Boston Marathon bombing
• Happy National Grilled Cheese Month. Here are some healthy recipes!
• 3 ways to celebrate Earth Day (and drop a few pounds, too!)