5 Tax Day tips to help you e-file with ease
Whether it snuck up on you or you’ve just been hoping some magical finance genie would appear and take care of things, today is Tax Day, which means it’s time to stand up to that mischievous voice in your head that’s still trying to tell you that you have plenty of time to file your income tax forms.
But, to tell the truth, you do have plenty of time – if you know where all your financial statements are for 2012. If you do, just sit down with your shoeboxes or file boxes or whatever and open your laptop to ShopAtHome.com’s TurboTax or H&R Block sites and save in at least five different ways.
- You can save $100 or more just by filing online. If your return is relatively simple, there’s no need to pay a CPA or tax preparer. And if you do need help, it’s standing by on our tax sites.
- ShopAtHome.com members who file through our Turbo Tax site can take advantage of our exclusive 10% discount on Turbo Tax online, plus receive an additional 9.5% cash back from ShopAtHome.com.
- Members who file through our H&R Block site get 20% off H&R Block at Home basic, deluxe or premium software.
- Give the IRS your direct deposit information when you e-file. Not only will you be able to track your refund, but, according to the IRS, 90% of taxpayers who are entitled to a refund will knock one to three weeks off their wait by filing online.
- Proofread carefully. Check and double check the spelling of names, your arithmetic and all Social Security numbers.
Now, that doesn’t sound so bad, does it? You might even get a refund. And, if you don’t, remember that your income tax helps pay for highways, clean water, national parks, food inspection, mail delivery and hundreds of other government programs that make the lives of Americans safer, healthier and more livable.