How to re-create Taylor Swift’s ’22’ video style — beginning at $8
By Brittany Anas
Scene after scene in Taylor Swift’s new video for her hit single 22, the country sweetheart shows off laid-back, spring looks — as well as some sultry summer night styles. From relaxed letter T-shirts to playful, heart-shaped sunglasses, the video makes us want to fast-forward to warm, sunny weekend days at the beach. Or the park. Or the farmer’s market.
Oh, and did you know that playful kitten ear headbands are a thing this spring? Soon after T. Swift wore a pair in her video, an identical pair sold out at Asos. Fear not, we found a more subtle cat-ear headband.
Here’s how you can re-create the looks from Taylor Swift’s 22 video … for cheap:
- Lettered shirt: Don’t you just want to wear this “rise and shine” shirt to watch the sun rise or to brunch with your girlfriends? The uneven hemline, over-sized fit and semi-sheer fabric all pitch in to create a relaxed, comfy vibe (Shopbop, $90).
- Red heart-shaped sunglasses: We’re love-struck with these playful, heart-shaped, ruby red sunglasses that instantaneously turn a jeans and T-shirt look into something to talk about. They also come in rainbow, bubble gum pink, black or white (Urban Outfitters, $14).
- Cat-ear headband: Rawr! In the end of the video, a flirty Swift is playing a game of cat-and-mouse while wearing a cat-ear headband. This is a real thing this summer, but we’re partial to this one that’s a little more subtle (Nordstrom, $18). (Here’s a pearl option from Delia’s).
- Black sequin skirt: We’re used to seeing Swift in modest, retro-inspired sundresses, but here, she changed up her look with a sultry black miniskirt. We found a similar one — for super cheap (Deb Shops, $7.35). Need a little more length? Here’s a black sequined skirt made by Billabong over at surfer-chic Swell.
- Light denim chambray shirt: Every girl needs a chambray shirt. We promise, it will be the most versatile item in your closet. In one of the scenes where T-Swift is digging into cake, she’s wearing a light denim version. We’ve scouted out a near double (Madewell, $69.50).
- Yellow polka dot head scarf: Tying a head scarf is never as easy as it looks because the fabric slides off of your silky locks. Our solution: A head scarf that is safely secured to a headband. It will give you the same look, but with less fuss (Ebay, $4.17).
- Light blue floral top: Wear this summer essential with jeans or throw over a bathing suit top. It’s sweetened by cream-colored embroidery on the back (Forever 21, $10.80).
Other articles you might also like:
• How to create a shabby-chic garden
• Neon ’80’s roaring back into style this spring, summer
• Fall fashion preview: The good, the bad, the ugly (and the bizarre)
• Shop Gwyneth Paltrow’s closet! (But you better be rich — and skinny)
• Survey reveals which stores Americans love best + exclusive deals
• Sneak peek: Celeb stylist Kate Young designing ‘red carpet’ line for Target