Tee-rific! 5 new ways to wear your T-shirts
Those unassuming T-shirts tucked in your drawers can perform more combinations than just the go-to T-shirt and jeans look. They can be dressed up with scarves and chunky necklaces or can instantly take an outfit down a notch for a casual Friday. Wear them with a dress? Sure you can! The best part: You can often find the classic wardrobe staple for less than $10.
Here are five new ways to rock a T-shirt:
- Under a blazer: Wear a loose-fitting graphic or rock band T-shirt underneath a more classic, tailored blazer for a casual day in the office or for a laid-back weekend look. How about a Green Day T-shirt from Hot Topic on sale for $14.35? Don’t be restricted to just the ladies’ sections. This Panic at the Disco T-shirt, also from Hot Topic, is a men’s shirt — but we love the punchy colors and that it’s a slim fit.
- A T-shirt for charity: For each T-shirt you buy from CommonThreadz.org, an orphan in Africa gets a uniform for school. The whimsical, artistic designs on these T-shirts will surely draw compliments — i.e. opportunities to tell others about this organization. One that jumps out at us is this white V-neck with a blue painted handprint on the side.
- Tucked into a maxi skirt: Balance a plain short-sleeved scoop or V-neck T-shirt with a long, flowy maxi skirt and tie the look together with a skinny leather belt and flat sandals. Buy “vintage” T-shirts in your favorite colors from Old Navy. The soft, crew-neck T-shirts look worn-in and come in a rainbow of colors for just $9.50 each.
- Under a sleeveless dress: Have a few sleeveless fit-and-flare or shift dresses that you’ve been saving for warmer weather? Go ahead and pair a neutral colored T-shirt under your spring or summer dress for a casual look and top with a denim or leather jacket. Check out the “essential T-shirt shop” at Gap for basic layering shirts for $15.
- Accessorize: Treat a basic white T-shirt like a blank canvas. You can layer strands of necklaces or wear a statement piece to add interest. Check out this multi-layered, pastel statement necklace from Nordstrom. Or loop an infinity scarf — like this watercolor style from Anthropologie — around your neck to add instant flair.
Other articles you might also like:
• Mother’s Day gifts from UNICEF that can help save children’s lives
• 5 universal ways to look skinnier in your jeans
• Madonna’s iconic cone bra, dress displayed by Macy’s
• Rawr! Jurassic Park-inspired jewelry and accessories
• Kate Middleton’s fave designer Issa London to debut Banana Republic line
• How to dress dapper dogs in bow ties, rain coats and other accessories