What went wrong in girl’s viral hair burning video + curling iron tips
By Brittany Anas
The majority of us have made shortsighted hair mistakes. Among them? Spraying Sun-In in our hair, which is basically a bleach and peroxide cocktail that will turn your locks into the same texture as broom bristles. Or, perhaps you got an unfortunate perm? Dare we ask if there are any photos of you with a mullet?
But, the difference between our hair catastrophes and the one experienced by13-year-old Tori Locklear is that our hair woes haven’t been viewed by nearly 20 million people. The pre-teenager’s video “Hair Tutorial Gone Wrong” has gone viral on YouTube. In it, she uses a clamp-free curling iron, and oopsie daisy, burns off a chunk of her blonde hair. We so want to sync the video with Alicia Key’s song “Girl on Fire.”
The video was enough to make us want to swear off our curling irons and revert to pink sponge curlers even if they are uncomfortable to sleep on.
Let us calm your fears so that you can still rock beach waves come this summer
There are so many things that went awry with dear Tori’s tutorial that was, ahem, cut short, and we’ve got ways that you can get cute curls without blow-torching your hair.
• Use an appropriate temperature setting. First, her curling iron could very well have short circuited. More likely, her heat setting was probably turned up too high.
For fine, bleached or damaged hair, stick to low settings on your curling iron or hair straightener. For average hair, use the medium setting. If your hair is coarse or thick, you can turn up the heat to high.
• Never, ever spray your hair with a product that will make your hair sizzle when it touches your curling iron. Tori sprayed a split-end spray before taking her magical wand to her hair strands that performed the now-infamous disappearing act. Also, make sure your hair is completely dry before you curl it.
• Prior to curling, use a heat protector spray on your hair. This is better than just simply using a leave-in conditioner. Our favorite option is the Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Breakage Thermal Protectant Spray from Vitacost.
• Invest in a quality curling iron or wand.
Some our favorites are the CHI titanium ceramic 3-in-1 styling wand from Kohl’s that has different sized barrels; the Bed Head Rock ‘N Roller ceramic styling iron from Ulta and the Remington Wrap to Wave ceramic hair styler from Amazon.
• Don’t cook your hair well-done. In the video, Tori says she wraps her hair around the wand for at least 20 seconds. You can actually just leave your hair wrapped around the iron for a few seconds. The heat radiating from a curler creates your curls, but they actually form as they’re cooling down.
Other articles you might also like:
• Biggest fashion moments in soap operas
• The most flattering bathing suits for your body type
• Puppy love: Quevenzhané Wallis’ purse makes playful style statement
• Juicy dress gossip from the Oscars + white dresses starting at $27.80
• Oscar fashion lessons: Backwards necklaces and misplaced brooches?
• Like Michelle Obama’s bangs? Try out the look with clip-in bangs