The world’s weirdest hotels, from UFOs to coffins
By Aimee Heckel
Ever wanted to sleep in a coffin? Spend some time in a UFO? OK, maybe these aren’t the typical to-dos on an average traveler’s bucket list. But if you’re looking for a way to shake up your next vacation, picking unusual lodging is a sure way to experience something new and exciting. If nothing else, it’ll make a good story when you return.
Here are some of the world’s weirdest hotels — and how you can save money if you are feeling weird enough to stay in one.
1. Sleep in coffins, or in the labyrinth below, at the Propeller Island City Lodge in Berlin, Germany. Or sleep in a “friendly” prison cell-style room, cages on stilts, a room that feels like sleeping in an old barn or in a bed hidden beneath the floor.
2. Stay in a Trojan Horse at the La Balade les Gnomes in Belgium. It’s like staying the night in a dark fairytale, hidden away in a remote location. Good thing the hotel has an on-site restaurant, because there’s not much else nearby. That adds to the mystery.
3. Stay in a room made entirely out of salt, at hte Palacio de Sal in Bolivia. Even the meals are centered around salt, meat and lamb.
4. Sleep in a “mirrorcube,” a small box covered in mirrors suspended in a tree at the Treehotel in Sweden. This unique hotel offers a variety of different treehouse rooms, including the UFO, which looks like (you guessed it) a UFA wedged between tree branches, complete with a ladder to get inside.
5. No clothes required when you stay at the Clover Clothes Free Spa and Hotel in the United Kingdom. Book a spa vacation with naturists — no inappropriate sexual activity allowed. Save money with these special hotel offers, including a two for one spa day.
Save money on your hotel when you book it through Hotels.com on ShopAtHome.com, where you can get 5 percent Cash Back and 10 ShopGold Rewards. Check the other Hotels.com coupons, too. Read more articles about Hotels.com here.
Save money on your other travel needs, from airfare to rental cars, with these travel coupons.
Other articles you might also enjoy:
- Save money on healthy, nontoxic cosmetics
- 5 sunscreen shopping tips for the summer
- Win $1,000 off future flights with Frontier’s giveaway