Travel-inspired home decor for less than $50
By Aimee Heckel
You love to travel. So make your a house a reflection of your passion. Here are some fun ways to spice up your home with some travel-inspired home decor.
1. Pick your favorite country of inspiration, and design a room around it. A great place to go for this is Cost Plus World Market. This store sells trendy yet unique home decor and food goods from various regions of the world — for super cheap prices. Our favorites are the artisan gifts — authentic, handmade treasures from around the world.
Looking to save money on travel? Visit ShopAtHome.com’s travel coupons.
Money saving tips: Sign up to be a World Market Explorer and get special deals and discounts.
2. Create travel-inspired accent pieces. Instead of a storage box, place a vintage suitcase next to your couch. (Find a vintage suitcase on Etsy.com for just $22.) Or stack suitcases on top of one another or on table legs and make a creative suitcase nightstand.
Here are DIY directions for making a simple suitcase nightstand on the blog Logan’s Organized Mess.
And check out these other ways to repurpose a vintage suitcase:
- As a flower pot or herb garden
- As a dog bed
- As a jewelry case
- For organizing beads and crafting supplies
- As shelves
3. Pick up little mementos wherever you travel and incorporate them into your house or one certain room. Best to shop at local artist markets instead of the airport store (where things rarely are even made in that country).
5. Instead of photos, collect unique posters from the cities you visit or love. We love the colors and sleek design of this Seattle poster on Etsy ($18). Also check out LisaBarbero’s other travel decor, like this Italy poster ($18), in her Etsy shop.
6. Go a little more subtle. Instead of an Eiffel tower for a French-inspired room, pick a unique old key from a French chateau ($10.72 on Etsy) as a decoration accent.
Other articles you might also like: