Unique pet travel gear, from doggie life vests to the ‘Puppoose’
By Aimee Heckel
Clearly, we love our pets. The American Pet Products Association estimates the U.S. pet products market will generate $53.53 million this year, and that number has been steadily rising over the past two decades.
Many of us enjoy traveling with our pets, too. We’ve all seen pet crates, portable water bowls and even doggie booster car seats.
But that’s barely cat-scratching the surface of what’s out there. Here are some clever, surprising and odd travel products that you can pick up for your pet.
1. A doggie life jacket, you know, in case your pup is missing the survival instinct to float. For the more fashionable of the non-floaters, get your dog a polka-dot life jacket at Dog.com for $17.67 (see photo).
2. Complete the day at the lake with a special doggie boat ladder, $199.95 at Pettravelcenter.com. (Get a free life jacket with purchase of a ladder.)
3. Bring your dog on bike rides in a pet bicycle basket, such as the Nantucket Bike Basket for $115.95 at PetTravelCenter.com. This hand-woven basket has a cage cover to keep your pup from jumping out, plus a quick release that allows you to easily take the basket off your handlebars.
4. Keep your dog safe on road trips with his very own pet seat belt. Petco sells a seat belt harness starting at $21.22 (on sale). A seat belt will protect both the dog — and the people in the car.
5. Have some fun with a doggie water ski leash, $16.31 at Dog.com. Note: This leash is meant to help you express your love for water-skiing — not to actually bring your dog water-skiing. Of course you knew that, right?
6. Bring your pup with you everywhere with a Puppoose, a unique, hands-free pet carrier. It claims to be the most “ergonomically designed, natural way to carry your pet” — with slings for pets up to 22 pounds. Pick up a Puppoose for $59.95.
Other articles you might also like: