Vegan? Here are 5 cities to put on your must-visit vacation list
A big part of traveling and exploring new cities is enjoying the food they have to offer. If you’re vegan, sometimes that takes a lot of advance research. With the help of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), we’ve done all the heavy lifting for you, so all you’ve got to do is lift your fork.
Here are five of the most vegan-friendly cities in the United States, as recently revealed by PETA.
1. Austin, Texas: The town is home to the University of Texas “Longhorns” and is cattle country. But, Austin was crowned top of PETA’s list partly because of the large number of vegan food trucks.
Must visit: Sweet Ritual vegan ice cream parlour, a vintage-inspired sweets shop with ice cream scoops, sundaes and shakes. They even have vegan gummy worm toppings.
2. Portland, Ore.: PETA calls this Pacific Northwest town a “mecca for all things vegan.” It’s home to a vegan bed and breakfast and a massage parlor where the owner herself is a long-time vegan who doesn’t use lotions with animal products. Even Casa Diablo, a strip club in the city, is vegan.
Must visit: Voodoo Doughnut, a 24/7 doughnut shop that has vegan options. Just stay away from the maple doughnut that’s topped with bacon.
3. Los Angeles: So many celebs are vegans. Just to name drop a few: Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman, Carrie Underwood and even Mike Tyson (who no longer bites ears, apparently). So, it makes sense that star-studded L.A. has some good vegan eateries and even has a vegan food and beer festival.
Must visit: Disneyland! The Happiest Place on Earth has vegan burgers and chili.
4. New York City: Go catch a Broadway show or a New York Yankees game. New York City is known for its delicious pizza pies, and there are plenty of vegan options.
Must visit: Beyond Sushi. Chef Guy Vaknin competed on Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen before starting a vegan sushi restaurant in New York. The current roll of the month is made with black rice, chayote, avocado and pickled jalapeno with shredded jicama and corn shoots.
5. Chicago: Of course Chi-Town is well known for having lots of butchers. But, according to PETA, there’s vegan festivals and restaurants popping up all over the windy city.
Must visit: The Chicago Diner, which serves ‘not dogs’ for kids. The diner, via Twitter, proudly proclaims it’s been “Meat free since ’83.”
Some other cities deemed vegan-friendly by PETA are: Seattle, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Boulder, Colo. and Richmond, Va.
Other articles you might also like:
• Five tips for Take your Dog to Work Day
• 7 kid-approved healthy snacks to take to the pool
• Five Father’s Day gift ideas for fit dads
• Study: Fast-food diners dramatically underestimate calorie counts
• 3 ways to get a full-body work-out while playing with your kids at the pool
• Expert tips on shopping for a mattress