Visit Berlin for the 25th anniversary of the fall of the wall
By Aimee Heckel
When Ava Roxanne Stritt traveled to Germany, she expected it to be entertaining and rich with history. But the professional travel writer did not expect Germany to quickly become one of her favorite places on earth.
“It has truly stolen this spa gal’s heart, soul and even her dreams,” Stritt says.
Stritt runs the popular website SpaTravelGal.com. She says this year is a great time to visit Germany, because it’s the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall. In celebration, travelers can find a long list of special events and travel deals.
Here are some of Stritt’s favorite things to do in Germany this year:
1. Visit the ancient, famous spas in Baden-Baden. Warm, mineral-rich water naturally bubbles up here from 12 thermal springs, and it has for thousands of years. Romans and Europe’s highest royalty used to travel to these springs to maintain health, Stritt says. Today, enjoy a Roman-Irish bath. Who knows? You might bump into a celebrity — or President Obama, who have been known to visit Baden-Baden.
2. Enjoy an afternoon tea at the Ritz-Carlton Berlin. When in Berlin, you must visit the wall, Stritt says. This year, you will find a special light installation along the former course of the wall, as a symbol of hope. Afterward, head to the Tea Lounge at the Ritz-Carlton Berlin, where you can enjoy tea led by an authentic “tea master.”
3. Stay at the Westin Grand Berlin hotel. This hotel is offering a “Tear Down the Wall Package,” which allows guests to chip off their own chunk of the wall, located at the hotel. The package also includes German food and champagne.
4. Get a facial at the Guerlain Spa in the Waldorf Astoria. After your treatment, swim in the designer pool, dip in the lux whirlpool, cool off by the ice fountain or head to the rooftop sun terrace.
Looking to save money on your trip to Germany? Check out these travel coupons. For example, get 4 percent Cash Back from Travelocity.com. Check out these other Travelocity coupons, too. Read more articles about saving money at Travelocity.com here.
Other articles you might also enjoy:
- How to get the best back-to-school deals
- Technology meets yoga: Innovative yoga gadgets
- Our favorite hiking carriers for kids