5 new ways to wear your white summer dress — inspired by our fave cities
Think of your white dress as a blank canvas, ready to be infused with bright hues or mixed with neutrals for a bohemian-chic vibe. You’ll be surprised by just how many different ways you can wear that quintessential summer staple.
We’ve drawn inspiration from some of our favorite style regions to imagine new ways to wear the classic white dress.
If you’re a rule follower, your days with your LWD (little white dress) are numbered between Memorial Day and Labor Day, so it’s time to start plotting how you can remix that white dress to get the most out of it. For those who say “pfft, I wear white year-round,” go on with your rebellious self and here are some ways for keeping the look fresh this summer.
- SoCal: A white cotton dress can be the centerpiece of an outfit that channels your inner surf girl who just wants to ride waves all day in Huntington Beach, Calif., the surf capitol of the United States. Borrow inspiration from all of the surf-inspired stores near the beach and pair your white dress with leather accessories — like a crossbody purse, strappy leather sandals or a loosely looped belt. Our picks: Leather Reef Sandals from Island Surf or the Roxy Still Wild distressed faux leather handbag from Tilly’s.
- The Hamptons: You don’t have to actually be a millionaire to look like a million bucks. Go nautical with red or navy accessories for a preppy, classic, All-American look. Our picks: Red and white striped flats or tie this $7.99 blue and white scarf in your hair, both options from ModCloth.
- New York City: Black and white pulled the runway right out from underneath the pastels this spring. The classic, crisp and clean combination just shouts New York City chic. The easiest way to wear your white dress is also the most sophisticated way. Add a pair of black heels, black earrings or a black blazer over your dress for an office-appropriate, yet summery look. Our picks: Black and silver jet drop earrings from White House Black Market and the scalloped crepe black jacket from Ann Taylor.
- Miami: Take a style tip from the bright, playful and summery color of Miami’s art deco designs. Use a neck scarf or bold, beaded jewelry to brighten up your white dress for a fun colorful look perfect for a summer barbecue or party. Our picks: The ombre chain mult-strand necklace in hues of coral and orange from BaubleBar and the coral and turquoise Dejima Comb Necklace from Anthropologie.
- San Antonio: This Texas city features a pair of 40-foot tall cowboy boots at the North Star Mall. Celebrate the cowboy (and cowgirl) culture by wearing a pair of boots with your white dress. They give a sweet white dress a rugged, country tomboy edge. Our pick: Heritage Western Boots from Boot Barn.
Other articles you might also like:
• How to get your best tan ever (without stepping into the sun, tanning bed)
• Chalk it up: How to temporarily color your hair with hair chalk
• ‘Grumpy Cat’ now a muse for fine art, funny T-shirts
• Mom knows best: The best fashion and style advice passed down from mothers
• How to host a smashing Great Gatsby party