Work-out T-shirts are making a statement (literally)
By Brittany Anas
Say so long to solid-colored, basic gym apparel. First, gyms got brightened up with pops of neon on everything from running shoes to tanks and shorts. Next, geometric patterns started covering our yoga pants.
The latest active wear trend worth noticing, though? Conversational T-shirts: From the inspirational sayings scrolled across a tank to the the semi-snarky one-liners, our gym T-shirts have something to say. (More than “Just Do It” and “Basketball is Life.”) They pronounce an individual’s commitment to the gym, crack a joke or are reminiscent of what a personal trainer would be telling us.
We’re thinking the latest trend is influenced by “fitspiration” photos on Pinterest and the social-media culture of memes. Either way, it takes a lot of confidence to walk around in a sleeveless T-shirt that says “Do you even lift, bro?” (a reference to a popular meme and series of YouTube videos).
Here’s what we’re talking about:
- For the distance runner, there’s a “Run, Rest, Repeat” tank from Old Navy on sale for $15. Soft, moisture-wicking GoDRY jersey material helps keep you drier. We also like the Run Wild tank and the Work It tank. Earn Cash Back and access coupons at Old Navy when you shop with ShopAtHome.com.
- Running a race? How about this Nike “Your Pace or Mine?” T-shirt that’s a cheeky catch-me-if-you-can challenge to fellow runners. Find it at Nordstrom, where you’ll earn up to 15 percent Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com.
- Want to suck up to your personal trainer? This “I Love Squats” T-shirt from Nordstrom should do the trick. Hey, if you say it enough times, it becomes true, right?
- Tennis anyone? This men’s “Always Causing a Racquet” T-shirt is on sale for $21.99 at Macy’s, where you can earn up to 3 percent Cash Back.
- Like a little friendly trash talk on the basketball court? How about this “Shoot till my arms fall off” Nike Kevin Durant Dri-FIT T-shirt or a “Scoring Machine” T-shirt by Nike, both from Macy’s.
- Are you a weekend warrior who finds your zen on an empty trail? Check out this “Escape Artist” T-shirt by The North Face in the men’s section at REI. (Earn 5 percent Cash Back at REI with ShopAtHome.com and put that money towards your weekend adventures).
Other articles you might also like: