Your selfie can win you a free vacation
By Aimee Heckel
Selfies aren’t just for duckface teenagers in their bathrooms. Selfies have taken over the world of travel photography, too.
Want proof that you stood on top of Long’s Peak? No longer is it enough to snap a shot of the view. Not unless it’s got your noggin’ in the middle of the landscape, at least.
Here are a few of the best travel selfies, as well as some tips on how to take the best travel selfies on your next adventure.
The best travel selfies
- The “ultimate travel selfie” — This daring selfie captures a traveler climbing the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro.
- 360-degree selfies in 36 countries — This is a new spin on the selfie that will inspire you to want to travel the world.
How to shoot the best travel selfies
1. Avoid the awkward and personal scenes. No bathtub selfies, even if your hotel tub is 100 gallons and you want to brag. Take your eyes off your own mug and look in the background, too. Is there a toilet back there? A pile of dirty clothes with panties on top? An overflowing trashcan? The “I-live-in-filth selfie” is a classic no-no.
2. Get out of the car. We’re sure you look amazing while driving, but the whole seatbelt-across-the-chest look is so 2007. Also, seriously, are you driving and selfie-ing? Park your car and get out. Your headrest is really not that great of a backdrop.
3. Don’t steal the spotlight. Make sure your head doesn’t get in the way of a beautiful scene behind you. You can shoot a pic of your face anywhere. If you’re traveling, let the scenery be the star.
4. Ask someone to take your picture. What? Yes, the selfie is not the only option. You might be surprised by how much you enjoy a new angle — or talking to another human.
5. Get an iPhone mount or handheld tripod to take more flattering photos that can capture more of the scenery and less of the pores on your nose.
Check out other travel coupons here.
Other articles you might also enjoy: